Thursday, July 18, 2013

Low cal fish tacos

A couple months ago, one of the Hispanic markets had alaskan white pollock for $2/lb, so naturally I bought 10 lbs (those of you who know me are not surprised by this at all.)  Since then, it's been sitting in my freezer taking up space. This week, I finally decided that its time had come.

So I took a couple pounds and stuck it in the fridge to thaw.  Then came the intimidating part: how can I cook this so it tastes like something while keeping in line with my macro requirements for the meal.  White fishes are notoriously tasteless, and this stuff was not high quality. 

About 20 min before I was ready to use it, i removed the fish from the fridge, dried it (it had released a bunch of water during the thaw) and added about 1/4 cup lime juice to the dish so it could marinate a bit while I contemplated further prep.

Here's how it went...

I put 30g defatted soy flour in a dish with a little salt, black pepper, cayenne, and cilantro then mixed it up really well.

Then I dredged the fish portions through the flour mixture, and pan fried them until they were flaky and cooked through. 

For service, I placed about 2-3 oz of fish on a whole cabbage leaf (lettuce wrap style) and topped with broccoli slaw mix, diced tomatoes, and homemade adobo sauce with lime juice. Here's what it looked like on the plate:

Serving size: 4oz fish, 20g broccoli slaw mix, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 2 cabbage leaves; 170 kcal, 1.2g fat; 12g carbs, 4.9g fiber; 29.1g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment