Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Emergency!

This morning I left my house without food for lunch and pre-workout. To anyone who plans their food for the day, this can be an absolute catastrophe! Panic inducing!

What's worse, I couldn't go back home to get anything.  AND I had 2 meals before I would be home again: lunch and pre-workout.  AND I needed to be able to make it through my workout. Here were my options as I saw them:

1) don't eat
2) go to a restaurant for lunch and do the best I can
3) try the vending machine at work
4) hit the grocery store on the way to work

Number 1 is just silly, so we won't even discuss that option. There's no way I could miss both of those meals and not die in the gym tonight.

Number 2 is always an option, but I'm pretty cheap and I know I'll be upset if I pay $10/lb for boiled chicken.  

I seriously considered number 3. I carry about 200 calories of pork rinds in my car at all times. I could eat those and maybe grab beef jerky from the vending machine to accompany them. The high-carb, low-fat pre-workout meal that I would require later would be tougher to find in the vending machine.  Also, I didn't have much change on me, so I would be limited by my cash on hand or to the kindness of coworkers willing to spot me.

Since I had some extra time before I had to be at work, I opted to stop at the market. The macros I need for each meal are pretty much exactly opposite from one another, so this is what I ended up getting: 
 
For $8, I got 8 packets of instant oatmeal (weight control) and 24oz of lunch meat. That's enough for about 4 lunches and 4 pre workouts for me.  Then when I got to work, I rummaged through the fridge and found these:
Score!
I also had a hard boiled egg leftover from a lunch last week that I had stashed in a refrigerator drawer.

When all was said and done, this was my lunch:

And this was my pre workout:

Lunch ended up at 245 kcal, 11.2g fat, <1g carb, 31g protein

My pre-workout meal ended up being (in addition to delicious!!) 320 kcal, 6g fat, 58g carbs, 12g fiber, 14g protein

Not too bad for thrown together grub!

Best of all, I rocked my workout. BOOM!


No comments:

Post a Comment